Rebuilding Angmar

Monday, December 12, 2005

Wings of Faith Conversion

I did this conversion a while ago, before Codex: Witch Hunters was released. At the time there was no 'Living Saint' figure or rules. I wanted an angelic type leader for my Seraphim-heavy sisters list, so this is what I came up with.


The components:
1. I began with the Twin Bolt Pistol Seraphim model (part 9947010801004) that has the more dramatic pose.

The above picture is copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2005,
variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world.
Used without permission. No challenge to its status intended.
All Rights Reserved to its owner.


2. I used the wings from a Skalathrix Vulture Demon from the Reaper Miniatures: Dark Haven Legends line (part 02532). I saw someone use this figure once as a Tzeentch Daemon Prince and it stuck in my head.
(Yea, so now my conversion is not GT legal. So what. I like the way it looks...)

The above picture is copyright 2001 - 2006 Reaper Miniatures, Inc.
Used without permission. No challenge to its status intended.

All Rights Reserved to its owner.


3. I gave her an Axe of Retribution (Blessed weapon) by replacing the pistol in her right hand with a WH fantasy Dwarf Lord Axe (part 9947020507801).

The above picture is copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2005,
variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world.
Used without permission. No challenge to its status intended.
All Rights Reserved to its owner.


The process:
1. Attaching the wings was a little tricky:
a. First I drilled out a small indentation in the base of the wings (the wings are a single piece) that would fit over the bump that her jump pack would usually attach to.

b. Next I drilled out a hole in both the wings and the bump in order to pin the wings on. I use simple paper clips for my pins, they are cheap and easy to manipluate.

c. I then superglued the wings in place.

d. Unfortunately, there is now an odd gap under and around the base of the wings where they connect to the back of the body. To fix this I filled the gap with 'Green Stuff' and molded it into place, smoothing it to make the transition between wings and body seamless.

2. Replacing the Pistol with the Axe:
a. I first filed down the 'Hands' molded onto the axe. Then I cut the handle of the axe in half at the point where the Seraphim will be holding it.

b. I then cut the pistol out of the Seraphims hand and filed down the top and bottom of the had where the axe will be attached.

c. Next, I drilled pin holes into the two halves of the axe and one entirely through the hand.

d. Finally, I pinned the two halves of the axe to the hand by threading a pin all the way through the hand.

3. At this point you could add an Inferno Pistol to her other hand. Instructions can be found in my Inferno Pistol Conversion article. Eventually, I'll get around to replacing the bolt pistol on mine with one.

4. The addition of the wings (which are metal) makes the figure extremely top-heavy. To fix this I glued a washer to the bottom of the base. She will still fall over if somebody flicks her in the face, but she is much more stable than before.



5. The result is a magnificent angelic visage leading my Seraphim to war.




The only problems that I see when using her are her slight inconsistencies with the equipment given to the new Living Saint entry and the fact that, if used as a VSS or HQ instead of a 'Spirit', her wing mutation would not really go over too well with the higher-ups within the Ecclisiarchy.

Then again, the Inquisition uses Cyber-Skulls and Cherub-Constructs, so why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home